After an extremely crazy yet fun 48 hours that involved such things as weather delayed flights, desperate sprints through airports, death defying trips over foggy mountains in the middle of the night, 3:00 a.m. trips down unfamiliar gravel roads, first meetings with chubby cheeked babies, red wine, indestructible piƱatas, Germans, beautiful weddings, bonfires, more red wine, and sad farewells, I decided to allow myself a day off with absolutely no chores* or guilt about not going to the studio or worrying about my various worries. I decided to watch 3 chick flicks, and I will now bore you with my opinions.
Love Story
Yes, the classic 1970 sappy romance starring Ryan O'Neal an Ali MacGraw. This wasn't actually as bad as I thought it was going to be. I mainly watched it because I love watching movies from the 70s and 80s. I love all the clothes and street scenes. And Ali MacGraw's character kept calling Ryan O'Neal's character "Preppie" and it reminded me of all those times I sat in front of the TV in middle school watching Saved By The Bell and eating boxes of cookies and thinking about how awkward I was (good times!). I wonder if A.C. Slater was a closet Love Story fan?
Anyway, I totally think it's crap that "Love means never having to say you're sorry" but I think the movie is worth watching if you are in a ladymovie kind of mood or just want to see Ali MacGraw rocking some sweet pea coats and looking super healthy even though she's not. And maybe I'm just a female or whatever, but I really liked this particular scene:
My Best Friend's Wedding
I saw this movie when it first came out and sort of enjoyed it. However, this time, as soon as I started watching it, I realized how much I hate it.** In fact, when it was over, I may or may not have gotten all Men on Film to nobody in particular and yelled, "HATED IT!" Everyone in this movie is just turrible, except Kitty from Dharma and Greg who is awesome in everything. Oh, and I can't hate on Rupert Everett's character too much even though he is the [only] friend of the harpy played by Julia Roberts. But damn! I just couldn't figure out who I was supposed to be rooting for. I believe I already touched on the fact that Julia Roberts's character is a trifling, man-stealing, crazy harpy. But the man she is trying to steal is a total tease, y'all! He is always giving her the sex eyes and getting reallllly close to her, and sucking rings off of her fingers and talking about their song. Meanwhile, Cameron Diaz's character needs a good slap because she is apparently quitting college to get married even though she doesn't want to quit college but she has to for her maaaaaannnnn and his sports writing career. What the what?
Mama Mia
I decided to watch this movie again because it is just every kind of awesome. It is a very goofy and sweet musical based upon the music of ABBA. First of all, I have to admit my deep affection for ABBA, and not just because they are Swedish and have names like Agnatha and Bjorn, but also because ABBA wrote some really awesome pop music, and I mean REALLY awesome. I'm not even being sarcastic, either. I spent lots of time as a child on looooong car trips listening to ABBA so I feel like an expert on their oeuvre.
So Mama Mia is so awesome that even Meryl Streep wanted to be in it. And it's beautifully shot on some remote island in Greece that will totally make you want to immediately book a trip to Greece even though you know you will need to purchase approximately $267.00 worth of sunscreen just for your first day there. Also, Pierce Brosnan cannot sing, but he tries really hard and his face is full of strain and you cannot help but to root for the poor handsome bastard. Y'all. If you haven't seen this move, promise me you will.
That concludes my movie reviews, you guys. I bet you totally can't wait until I watch more movies so I can entertain (bore) you with my feelings and opinions.
*This didn't actually happen, as I ended up doing several loads of laundry. But it's not like laundry is hard. It's not like I had to drag all my baskets down to the river and beat my skivvies on rocks. So I don't think laundry counts. (Plus, I enjoy folding.)
**This also happened to me recently with Almost Famous. I thought it was kind of okay when it first came out, but it was on TV the other night and I just couldn't stomach it. Oh, also Good Will Hunting just hasn't aged well. I blame Robin Williams for that, though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment