Monday, January 25, 2010

I was at the Decatur Library after hours on Friday night, hoping to return my 700 checked out books via the book drop. But the Decatur Library is a tricky mistress because the book drop is "out of order!" They have cleverly made another 15 cents or so because of my late books.

I have to wonder what exactly makes a book drop "out of order." I guess the boring explanation would be that maybe there is a leak and water is getting inside. But two other possible explanations would be:

1.) There is a troll inside the book drop that is demanding the answer to a complicated riddle. The librarians have put an "out of order" sign on the book drop until they have solved the riddle.

2.) The book drop has become a worm hole and is shooting books into the past. Or maybe even the future! If they arrive in the future, imagine the late fees then!

Anyone else have any ideas?

6 comments:

Julie of the Wisdom People said...

I like both of your theories and won't put in any boring possible explanations. I will say, though, that anytime a book drop is out of order, you can just let them know that you tried to return your books and couldn't and I would be shocked if they don't waive your fines.

KB(T) said...

I don't even mind paying library fines b/c they are so minimal and b/c I feel like I am giving the library some money and I like the library, so it's all peachy. But I'm curious, does the money actually go to the library or does it go to the county government?

racher said...

I'm pretty sure it's my fault for not ever never, not even once, depositing only one item at a time. I broke it.
My bad.

Julie of the Wisdom People said...

The way the money is handled can vary by county. At my library, the fines definitely go right back to the library. The DeKalb County Library is more closely affiliated with the county, though, but I'm still fairly sure that the money stays with the library system. I do know that money paid for a lost book, say, won't necessarily go to buying new books, though.

KB(T) said...

I'm still pretty sure a troll set up shop in that bookdrop, Racher, so I will not place the blame on you. BTW, I love your blog. I am one of those creepy lurkers....

racher said...

Awesome! And today: a comment! You lurk no more!
The feeling is mutual regarding blog loving, BTW.
Look at us! Delurking!