Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Turning 20 again!

I'm about to turn 30 and I would like to state, for the record, that I am very neutral about turning 30. I just wish that turning 30 meant that I could start rejecting technology and wearing cardigans in the summertime and complaining about drafts (draughts?) and crocheting doilies and accumulating multiple cats and asking young men to help me down the stairs and getting my hair permed and styled in the same curly fashion every couple of weeks so that I don't have to worry so much about my hair, but....

Apparently not! I don’t think I get to legitimately start doing all of that until I’m 80 or so because someone recently informed me that “30 is the new 20,” and then I did the complicated maths in my head and realized that if 30 is the new 20, then 40 is the new 30 and 50 is the new 40 and 60 is the new 50 and 70 is the new 60, and so on. Anyway, I was like, DAMMIT, 20 AGAIN? Not that I’d mind looking like a 20-year-old, but doesn’t being the equivalent of 20 mean that I have to own a camera phone and inexplicably yearn for a laptop that can fit into a thin manila envelope?



Haha, sorry, I bet there's a fancier computer than this now and I'm simply not aware of it! That ad is from like 2 years ago, which is an aeon in computer years.

I am an old-fashioned gal, people. I'm ready for a break from all the constant technology upgrades. I'm ready for gadgets to stop getting so tiny such that they are unusable to my beefy fingers. I'm ready for a computer that will last for more than 3 years without getting all slow and crashing all the time and having weird issues like power surges in the USB ports and disappearing volume icons and blah blah blah not having enough virtual memory. In my day, things were made to last! My family had the same computer for years and years! Sure, it only ran DOS-based programs and the white text on black screen was headache-inducing, but it never did anything confusing to my poor sweet brain. I think they only replaced that computer because I went to college and demanded that they get the internetz.

So anyway, turning 30. I felt like I should do something fancy because when you turn an age that has a zero in it, it's supposed to be a milestone, I think. So we are going to Amsterdam! We leave on Saturday. I think a trip to Amsterdam will kick more ass than a laptop that fits in an envelope. Just my opinion, though.

No comments: