Sometimes I get blue because I feel like so many people are only interested in blue tooth technology and power drinks** and Louis Vuitton bags and immaculate lawns and television shows where hipsters dissect dead people and fancy jobs and text messaging and celebrity babies and fad diets and Dancing with the Stars and flat screen TVs and expensive cars and The Hills and jewelry.
I know that this is not actually true and that not all people are like this, but all of these THINGS are just so in your face. I turned on the TV last night and there was an ad for some overproduced show called Celebrity Circus, and I just got really depressed and I’m not sure why. Also, I was reading Creative Loafing at the studio last night and there was a little interview section about the Hottest Places to Party in Atlanta, and this one guy was talking about all the hot chicks at some club called Opera and how no ugly chicks go there because it is so expensive and hot chicks follow the money. And that depressed me a little more. And then this morning, I saw a Hummer cutting in front of people in traffic and Hummers always depress me. I'm just having a lot of blue feelings.
Anyway, I think all of this is why I like being around animals. They are mainly concerned with eating, sleeping, exercising, surviving, having a little fun, and (sometimes) snuggling. I wish more people were like that. (But I really don’t want to snuggle with the guy talking about the hot chicks at Opera.) Of course, animals are also all about procreating, which I’m not down with at this point because those particular neurons haven’t fired off yet for me.
*Speaking of blue, did you know that the word "turquoise" comes from Turkey? It's b/c of the Blue Mosque. I learned that from Rick Steves, who I think is neat.
**Speaking of power drinks, these videos really made me laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk
3 comments:
When life and the hills and hummers and spray tans get you down, I highly recommend The Soup. Makes it a little better and snuggles the part of your soul that dies a little bit each day you pay attention to the general public. If you don't have BT around, Joel McHale is the next best thing
I get the same kind of blues, frequently. Animals are totally better people than people. Lately I am always looking at strange people doing strange things and trying to figure out how we are the same species. I have to supress the urge to go up to people and say "Really? For real? You looked at your options and that struck you as the best way for you to act in that situation?" In fact, I believe I would be getting in fist fights on a regular basis if it were not for the fact that I work with the public in a semi small town and may end up punching (ahem... getting punched by) someone with the power to get me fired.
Next time I am cut off in traffic by a Hummer, I will look up this Soup on Youtube, so that I can get a good snuggle over the interwebs.
Julie, I get similar vigilante feelings and I find sometimes it can only be cured by hugging my cat or tussling with the dog at my studio.
I think pets should be allowed at work, is what I think.
Post a Comment