Oh, I am in a funk. I think having 4.5 days off may have done me more harm than good. That was 4.5 days of such pleasantries as: family, friends, food, and not being around lawyers. Now I am feeling churlish and have to keep myself shut in my office so I don't risk being passive aggressively rude to someone who makes the mistake of saying hello or asking if I got my hair cut*.
Plus I somehow managed to knock my butt against a counter last night and have possibly busted up my tailbone for the 3rd time. Oh, do you want to know how I busted up my tailbone in the past? I bet you do. The first time involved a dance class in college wherein we had to do a lot of balancing on our butts pilates-style over the course of the semester, and that was just too much for my poor tailbone. Luckily I could shift over to balance on a cheek when the teacher wasn't looking, but you can be sure I was relieved when the semester was finished and I could sign up for a more upright style of dance. A year or so went by with my tailbone forgiving me ever so slowly, and then one morning I carelessly sat down hard on an armrest in my Human Sexuality class, and you can be sure that the screech I let out upon once again busting up my tailbone awoke everyone in the class from their 8:00 a.m. stupor.
But enough about my tailbone, let's discuss my teeth, shall we? I haven't been to the dentist in a couple of years, and although I take very good care of my teeth by brushing, flossing and swishing with various cavity-fighting mouthwashes, there are certain dental issues I just can't take care of on my own, such as removing my wisdom teeth. Yes I am nearly 30 and still have all my wisdom teeth. (I am very jealous of my brother, who never had any wisdom teeth at all because he is more highly evolved than I.) And my wisdom teeth appear to be growing in very inconvenient places, such as under other teeth. And it's all my fault, you see, because the last time I went to the dentist, he told me I needed to have my wisdom teeth taken out. Which I didn't do because I didn't want to spend lots and lots of money on something that wasn't even bothering me and surely my wisdom teeth would just hang out where they were or possibly dissolve or disappear or something, right?
So I just didn't go back to the dentist for a couple of years. And now I'm embarrassed to go because I still have my wisdom teeth and, while they are still not bothering me, I just know they are doing evil things under my gums and you guys, I don't want to be chided by my dentist! And then my mother called me and told me the dentist's office (where she goes as well) wanted to know if they should destroy my file since I hadn't been there in so long.
I'm going to stop rambling on because reading about someone's teeth and tailbone and churlishness is simply not interesting, but does anyone have any general advice about wisdom teeth and/or dental etiquette when one hasn't done something one is supposed to have done? Should I go sheepishly back to my dentist and accept my lecture? I have a recommendation for another dentist, but he is in the same building as my old dentist and what if they know each other? Am I making too big a deal about this? Yes, I'm sure I am.
*People ask me daily if I have gotten a haircut. It is an unreasonable pet peeve of mine. I just get so crabby when asked the same question constantly. You understand, don't you?
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have lots of dentist-angst survival stories.
One; you are a customer and they shouldn't be mean to you. (though it doesn't hurt to preface your visit/exam with your concerns)
Two; I can reccomend a great dentist (in Williamsburg, Abney & Hill 404-351-4588, I see Abney)
Three; I'm pretty sure you'll need an appoitment or referral to and orthodontistical surgeon. I used Emory for mine (Aetna)
happy to elaborate or hoo-rah as needed!
Ha, ha. I like it when other people are churlish, because then I don't feel quite as guilty about my own churlishness. Unfortunately, I am usually not very good about keeping myself hidden away and my passive aggressiveness totally comes out.
I have dental guilt, too. I didn't go to the dentist for a couple years. I used this excuse, "Has it really been that long?" and "It's crazy how the time get's away from you." It will work.
I don't recommend switching dentists, unless you don't like your current dentist, because it's worse when you are explaining something to a new doctor and you get caught in your lies and have to admit that you are dodging your old doctor. It's way more humiliating. Good luck!
Thanks, ladies. I know I need to just bite the bullet and go. I do like the idea of pretending to be forgetful....
Post a Comment