I have two book recommendations! I think they would be perfect for beach reading, in that I found them very engrossing and hard to put down.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. This book is looooong, which was good because I could not stop reading it. It is a thriller set in Sweden* and it's got hackers and journalists and mysterious disappearances, oh my! However, it's quite disturbing, so beware. The Swedish title is actually translated as Men Who Hate Women and it is definitely about that.
The Hunger Games. This is a young adult book, but I've been listening to it on CD during my commute and it's actually making me long for more traffic. It's set in a futuristic society located where North America is today. The main character is a very resourceful teenage girl who is one of 24 teenagers who must fight to the death in an arena in order to "entertain" the evil rich people who are in charge.
If you like either of these books, good news! They are both the first books in trilogies! Also, I just realized that my reading/listening material has been sort of disturbing lately. Perhaps I need to cleanse my reading palate with something more pleasant? I welcome any suggestions.
I'm also currently reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which will probably actually last me the entire summer because it is almost 800 pages long and, while I am enjoying it, I can easily put it down. (And what a relief to put it down. That book is like 10 pounds.) But I do want to keep reading it to find out what happens because it is about gentleman magicians, and, I ask you, who doesn't love reading about gentleman magicians?
*I am obsessed with all things Swedish**, and I want to go to there!
**IKEA, Dolph Lundgren, lingonberry jam; I can't really explain my fascination.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Unfortunately, the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy hasn't been written yet. The second book was also very good.
An excellent audio that is fairly light in tone (though a little dark in some of it's subject matter) is Skullduggery Pleasant. Definitely a good one for audio. Oh, very light and good on audio is I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This by Bob Newhart.
I'm sure I could think of a bunch more, but I'll stop at that. I'll have to read The Girl with the Dargon Tattoo. I'm bad about not reading/listening to any "grown-up" titles.
I know, I am part of the way through Catching Fire and I already have ants in my pants about Mockingjay! Also, I would like to admit that I did a little Google Image Searchin' for Hunger Games and got a lot of pictures of teen heartthrob boyz with sideswept bangs. I mean, are sideswept bangs even allowed in District 12? I submit that they are not.
I'm putting the Bob Newhart book on my beach-read list. Unfortunately the library doesn't have it on CD, which is a bummer b/c he has great line delivery. They also don't have CDs of Skullduggery Pleasant. Curses! I shall have to use my eyes to read, YET AGAIN.
Also, please do not think I'm a total creepster for recommending The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It is a creepy book. But it is so good.
Post a Comment