I have been obsessed with this cool pre-war house ever since I accidentally drove past in once while lost (happens a lot). I was trying to find the Clyde Shepherd Nature Preserve (which is totally cool, by the way) and I got lost in the neighborhoods around Lawrenceville Highway and North DeKalb Mall, and suddenly found myself confronted by a beautiful white farmhouse. Who knew an 1855 farmhouse existed in Decatur?
So I was perusing one of my favorite websites, and there it was!!! Would that I had an extra $975K lying around. Pauvre moi! I would take such good care of that house. Instead, someone will probably buy it, pronounce the kitchen "unlivable," and immediately install the much dreaded, soon to be out of style granite countertops. This is what I have learned from watching too much HGTV.
If I have piqued your curiosity and you want to see more of the house, click here. It is a beaut!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Two things;
1- I would kill a puppy for that sunroom
2- Granite countertops are so 1999
3- should historical preserevation stuff keep anyone from messing with it? (even though the kitchen is clearly not original)
Allen, you just gotta drive past this place, it is so dreamy! It even has big, gorgeous old Southern trees in the front yard!
I don't know about the historic preservation thing--I bet you are allowed to update kitchens and bathrooms, but maybe there are limits?
I'm pretty sure my parents lived in the old "slave's quarters" on that property when they were newly married and still in school. If I remember correctly they lived rent-free as a part of my dad's scholarship at Candler. My mom still has Mrs. Cobb's prized ferns in her living room because she was going to bequeath them to her husband's alma mater (some school in Mississippi if memory serves) for use in a fancy trustee meeting room but someone pissed her off so she gave them to my mom who she said would take better care of them anyways...so many stories so little space...
I sent the listing to my parents and it is where they lived. My dad added that what the listing doesn't say is that although the house was started in the 1850s (hence, I guess the "circa 1855") it wasn't finished until after the Civil War--partly (I would assume) due to the fact that there was a war and a dude trying to burn everything down--but also, according to my dad, because the original structure contained no nails at all. The entire thing was pegged together. Now that's the kind of thing that would make me set up a tour and just sit there to look at the place. Very cool!
WHOA, thanks for the behind-the-scenes history! That is so cool that your parents used to live in the rental cottage. If I hear of an open house, I will let you know!
I am also impressed by the fact that your mom has kept those ferns alive so long. I've never had luck with ferns.
Speaking of structures built with wooden pegs instead of nails, this is the coolest one I've ever seen: http://bptravelspb.com/CatalogImages/kizhi.jpg
Post a Comment