Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Items of note from jury duty:

1. Some people can fall asleep anywhere, anytime. Sometimes they will wake themselves and each other up with their snores.

2. Over 50% of jurors would rather stare blankly at the wall than read a book or magazine.*

3. The Great Influenza is a very interesting book, but not the page-turner I should have brought to read for 8 hours.

4. Some people get crabby and vocal when they are forced by the government to sit and stare at the wall for 8 hours. (Again, see *)

5. Lots of people have no qualms discussing their cholesterol levels and/or state of bowels loudly on the phone while situated in a quiet room full of jurors.

6. Several jurors will not be able to locate their cars in the parking garage.

*The DeKalb County courthouse provides plenty of reading materials for jurors and you can actually take the reading material home with you.

2 comments:

little.monkey said...

That's awesome. I've never been called for jury duty, but that makes me want to be. People are SO unbelievably weird!

Julie of the Wisdom People said...

I don't know why people complain so much about jury duty, either. I guess some of the people don't get paid for missing work, but the big jerks are usually the people who look like they don't need the money. I've been called for jury duty many times, but have only had to show up twice.